Saturday, February 6, 2010

On Knee Surgery

On Tuesday, I had knee surgery. To be more specific, I had an arthoscopic procedure intended to help repair an old injury which had gotten very much out of hand.

To detail the situation, my left knee's lateral meniscus was out of place, folded on top of itself, and torn. There was also bone damage, and some of the remaining cartelage had become detached. While the meniscus wasn't salvageable, the remaining damage was successfully repaired... although there was a bone graft involved.

Needless to say, I am not enjoying the recovery. Among other things, vicodin has a very strong negative impact on my ability to follow the peer-reviewed literature. This is a major annoyance to me (frankly, more of one than the fact that I'm now way behind on my e-mails).

Oh, and bone grafts really, really hurt... even with major narcotics. Attempting physical therapy activities with a knee that's swollen to the literal size of a grapefruit isn't very pleasant, either.

In summary, I don't have much energy (or attention span) available for blogging right now. Sorry about that.

1 comment:

  1. ((((((( HUGS ))))))) Alex, if there's anything you need that I can provide, let me know. I can drive you around... although you'd probably prefer that I drive you in your car, mine isn't very comfy. I can run errands for you, too... but I can't read your papers for you, so hope you get well soon.

    Vicodin and similar drugs make me a very nasty person... I have to be in horrible pain to take them, so I know what you mean about not wanting to but feeling you have no choice.
    <3

    ReplyDelete